Alternate nostril breathing calms the mind and also focuses thought.
- Sitting peacefully, bring your right hand index and middle fingers to rest between your eyebrows.
- Close your eyes and deeply breathe in and out through your nose.
- Close your right nostril with your right thumb. Inhale through the left nostril for a count of 4.
- Close the left nostril with your ring finger (both nostrils are now closed) hold the breath for a count of 4.
- Release your right nostril and release the breath slowly for a count of 4.
- Hold the breath on the exhale for a count of 4.
- Now inhale through the right side for a count of 4.
- Close both nostrils again and hold the breath for a count of 4.
- Open your left nostril and release your breath slowly through the left side.
- Hold for a count of 4.
Repeat the cycle again 5 – 10 times.