1. Find a comfortable position.
Bringing awareness to your heart space, place a hand on your chest. Inhale, Exhale.
As you continue to breathe, recite the following phrases:
“May I be safe,
May I be peaceful,
May I be healthy,
May I be loved,
May my life flow.”
Notice whatever arises in the body, heart, and mind. Even if this feels awkward, notice the awkwardness of the practice.
2. Next bring to mind someone it is easy to love and care for: Repeat the following phrases inwardly, again noticing what arises:
“May you be safe,
May you be peaceful,
May you be healthy,
May you be loved,
May your life flow.”
3. Next bring friends and family into your awareness and repeat the phrases in 2. above.
4. This next part can sometimes be challenging for people, but it is an integral part of the practice. Again noticing whatever is arising with an open heart, bring someone to mind that you are having challenges with, repeating the phrases in 2. above quietly to yourself. Notice any resistance that may come up. Breathe and pause in this awareness:
5. The last part of the practice is to bring all beings in all places and times into our awareness, repeating the phrases in 2. above.
Sit with the effects of the practice; feel your heart and notice what sensations and emotions may be arising. Breathe it in with a sense of acceptance.